Saturday, September 8, 2012

Thinking of College


Prompt: You briefly met with a college recruiter last week, and you reviewed a number of questions to ask about colleges. This must have gotten you thinking about your future, so tell us about it: Without any strict requirements, write about your expectations, goals, fears, concerns, questions that you have concerning your future in college. Additionally, now that you know that recruiters want to hear about you and your intellectual interests and pursuits, how do you think being an aware Academic Leader will give you an advantage when applying to the college of your choice?

I think that being an Academic Leader will give me an advantage as I decide to apply to colleges. First of all, I will have some skills that as an Academic Leader you will gain with time. To me a few of those essential skills would be engaging your audience when you are presenting, explaining something, talking in an interview or even just having a simple talk with someone. This does not mean that I will not be nervous but I will already have that skill, as I become an aware Academic Leader.  In addition, as an Academic Leader I have learnt to go along and use my strengths. I will improve my weaknesses to make them less weak but I should show my strengths because they are my strongest point. Being an Academic Leader will also have its advantages when applying to the colleges of my choice because I will be able to make an impression, and hopefully a positive impression! I hope that colleges and universities will be considerate as they select people out. 


Meeting with the college recruiter and reading about colleges did get me thinking about college. After being to many different schools and having studied so hard, I would like to get accepted to the colleges I apply to. The college recruiter mentioned that it gave scholarships, and I wonder if I will qualify for these scholarships. Universities and colleges are becoming more expensive over the years which is why I think scholarships are interesting and I believe that if you have the grades and the components that your college asks for, then you should be given a chance. My goal is for me to fulfill my Undergraduate Studies, by getting a Bachelor’s degree as the minimum, and then maybe change universities or college for my Graduate Studies.  I am concerned about grades and how my CV  will look when I graduate. The IB is also a very important factor that is hard and seems to be a stressful program according to some of my friends that are taking IB examinations this year. On the other hand, having seen the college recruiter last week, brought up some questions, such as, what is the difference between a university and a college? Do your after-school activities count when applying for colleges? Can you go as undecided when applying to a university in Europe? What is the best way to decide what college to go to? Is it possible to visit a campus before you go to it or before you apply to it?  Do things like tutoring or being in NHS count? How do colleges decide if they want you? Is it by having an interview or just through your application? Nowadays, what are colleges looking for? For example your grades is one of the most important parts that they will look at, however what about your personality, the activities you have done or groups that you participate in, or maybe even your qualities as an individual person?

No comments:

Post a Comment